(March 24, 2022) Blue Note Records has announced the next run of titles in the Classic Vinyl Reissue Series, which presents affordable 180g all-analog vinyl reissues in standard packaging that are mastered by Kevin Gray from the original master tapes and manufactured at Optimal.
(March 24, 2022) Blue Note Records has announced the next run of titles in the Classic Vinyl Reissue Series, which presents affordable 180g all-analog vinyl reissues in standard packaging that are mastered by Kevin Gray from the original master tapes and manufactured at Optimal. Curated by Don Was and Cem Kurosman, the series continues its exploration of the extensive Blue Note catalog with titles that span the many eras and styles of the legendary label’s eight-decade history presented by themes: Bebop, Hard Bop, Soul Jazz, Post-Bop, Avant-Garde, The 70s, The Rebirth, and Hidden Gems.
The newly announced titles begin on May 20 with two 1970s classics revered as the source of prominent samples on seminal hip hop tracks by A Tribe Called Quest: Two Headed Freap, the 1972 debut by organist Ronnie Foster whose track “Mystic Brew” was sampled on “Electric Relaxation, and Moon Rappin’, a 1969 album by organist Brother Jack McDuff that was released in 1970 and later sampled on “Scenario” and “Check the Rhime.” Both titles are available for pre-order now on the Blue Note Store.
Other highlights of the new line-up include some of the most beloved classics of the Blue Note catalog like Thelonious Monk Genius of Modern Music, Vol. 1, Lou Donaldson Blues Walk, Larry Young Unity, Wayne Shorter Adam’s Apple, and Andrew Hill Point of Departure, as well as lesser-known treasures like Don Wilkerson Preach Brother!, George Braith Extension, and Grachan Moncur III Evolution. Two modern era standouts—Charlie Hunter Bing, Bing, Bing! and Joe Lovano I’m All For You—are analog recordings that will get their first-ever vinyl release mastered AAA by Gray direct from the master tapes.
Classic Vinyl Reissue Series – Release Schedule:
May 20, 2022 – The 70s
- Ronnie Foster – Two Headed Freap (1972)
- Brother Jack McDuff – Moon Rappin’ (1969)
June 17, 2022 – Hard Bop
- Lou Donaldson – Blues Walk (1958)
- Sonny Clark – Dial ‘S’ For Sonny (1957)
July 15, 2022 – Hidden Gems
- Don Wilkerson – Preach Brother! (1962)
- George Braith – Extension (1964)
August 19, 2022 – Post-Bop
- Larry Young – Unity (1965)
- Wayne Shorter – Adam’s Apple (1966)
September 16, 2022 – The Rebirth
- Charlie Hunter – Bing Bing Bing! (1995)
- Joe Lovano – I’m All For You (2003)
October 21, 2022 – Soul Jazz
- Big John Patton – Oh Baby! (1965)
- Stanley Turrentine – Common Touch (1968)
November 18, 2022 – The Avant-Garde
- Andrew Hill – Point of Departure (1964)
- Grachan Moncur III – Evolution (1963)
December 16, 2022 – Bebop
- Thelonious Monk – Genius of Modern Music, Vol. 1 – BLP 1510 (1947-48)
- J. J. Johnson – The Eminent Jay Jay Johnson, Vol. 1 – BLP 1505 (1953-54)
The Classic Series runs alongside the Tone Poet Audiophile Vinyl Reissue Series which is produced by Joe Harley.
Follow Blue Note Records:
Website • Facebook • Twitter • Instagram • Spotify • Apple Music • YouTube